Friday, March 27, 2009

To Love And To Be Loved

To have a man that I loved say to me.................

"Live in my heart, and pay no rent."
(Oh how very Irish and romantic *Sighs*)

I would then say to him..................

"Tis a lonely wash with no man's shirt in it."
(The Irish have such a lovely way with a turn of phrase)

But from these simple Irish sayings of love and affection my mind turns to the more poetical leanings of some great Irish romantic poets....................

Sheridan, Yeats, and Moore, among others


"Won't you come into the garden? My roses should like to meet you."
~Sheridan

"Love hath a language of his own - A voice, that goes
From heart to heart - whose mystic tone
Love only knows."
~Thomas Moore


Ah Love!
Could thou and I with Fate conspire
To grasp this sorry Scheme of Things entire,
Would not we shatter it to bits --- And then
Re-mould it nearer to the Heart's desire!
~Edward FitzGerald



Had I the heaven's embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths,
Of night and light and the half-light,
would spread the cloths under your feet;
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
~William Butler Yeats

It is this last poem that moves me
This last poem is what I long for
A man to tell me he has given me everything including his dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment